Friday, June 3, 2011

Comfortable?

Matthew 19:23-24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

How many times have I read these verses with a saddened heart... how sad for those rich people who do not want to give up their wealth and possessions for the kingdom of God? The young man talked about earlier in this passage walked away from the promise of eternal life because he had great wealth. HE WHAT?? WHY would he do that?? Because he was comfortable! He didn't want to change his lifestyle; he didn't want to give up what he worked so hard to gain!

How many times do we find ourselves thinking this same way?! We might not have the great wealth this young man had, but we do have things that make us "comfortable". Americans are one of the most "comfortable" people; we go to extremes to make sure we don't feel uncomfortable. We buy nice houses, cars, clothing...we have our retirement accounts, stocks, savings, emergency funds. We do all of this to set up our lifestyle...to make sure we can provide for ourselves.

What about God? What about what he wants from our lives? He has called us to live "uncomfortably"! He has called us to sacrifice everything, to be willing to give all we have, to give up our cars, our houses, our savings! What a concept! In our society it’s looked on as foolishness, as not being prepared. But God is our preparer; he wants us to rely on him!

It’s a hard thing to do, especially for me! I am a preparer, I have to know what and how things are going to happen. I feel safe knowing I have the means to live comfortably ...and when I am challenged to live a sacrificing lifestyle, it’s hard for me!! But I don't want my "wealth", my comfortableness, to be a hindrance to what God can do through my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment